Home » Interesting, Thoughts

I Hate Glasses And Contacts And I Want Lasik!

24 March 2009 11 Comments

Today I had my yearly appointment with an eye doctor.  I say "an" eye doctor and not "my" eye doctor because I had to switch this year because of insurance puproses.  It went well and now I guess I can say he's "my" eye doctor.  My vision is great with glasses, but I have unfortunately gotten to that age where I can't see squat up close.

Bad vision runs in my family... This picture is of me goofing off wearing my Grandpa's glasses from way back when... I'm thankful my eyesight isn't as bad as his was!!  I'm nearsighted so glasses help me see far away, now I'm having problems reading up close which SUX!  If you seen my video on the March Madness Giveaway, you'll see what I'm talking about!  I'm always either looking over or under my glasses to see things up close... and yes I know they make bifocals...  UGGGGG!!!

First off let me say I HATE glasses!  I just hate them...  Always have and always will!  Several years back I started wearing contacts and even though they are much better than glasses, they're a hassle too!  And when allergy season kicks in... well that makes it even worse!

Sooo, I'm seriously considering looking into lasik eye surgery.  I was wondering if any of you have ever gotten lasik eye surgery or known anyone personally that has.  Of course I hear all the ads on the radio about lasik and see it all over the Internet, but I'd love to hear from someone first hand that I know has had lasik and that it was successful.  There's just something about them cutting a flap on the surface of my eyeball that bothers me hahaha

I think if I could hear some positives from folks I know, and could find a good North Carolina lasik surgeon, then I may take a serious look at it! (no pun intended) haha

Like I said, I've read things on the Internet, but I really would like first hand info!  Heck I even searched Ebay hahaha.. For some reason, anytime I'm looking for ANYTHING, I search Ebay to see what I can find....  Interestingly enough, an Ebay search for Lasik turned up some interesting results...

Click Here To See The Ebay Results For Lasik

Did you see the results?

• Obviously Polarized Fitover Sunglasses are needed after lasik surgery!
  • Evidently lasic surgeons shop Ebay for equipment and domains!  $12,000.00 bucks for a lasik related domain name?
  • Ok, this one bothers me a little bit..  Surgical Feratome Blades?  My surgeon could be buying his blades on Ebay?  I mean I love Ebay but I dunno haha
  • Dang, looks like I could purchase my very own Lasik Laser machine thingy haha.  Maybe Jake could start doing lasik eye surgery?
  • And of course there are some books and guides etc etc...

It's amazing what you can find on Ebay huh?

Sooo, have any of you had Lasik eye surgery?

Do you know someone personally that has?

Do you know of any "personal" horror stories?

I want first hand info now, not he said she said hahaha!

• Make Money Online said:

Jake I have glasses too and I hate them too. I do wear lenses but dont like them much either. I stumbled upon this site http://www.seeingwithoutglasses.net/ to save some money on glasses and surgery.

Make Money Online’s last blog post..How To Market Your Business In A Recession

@ MMO – yeah folks that have good vision are blessed… i’m definitely going to see about the Lasik thing and going to check out that link in your comment now!

• Sire said:

I used to wear contacts but I found them irritating as my eyes moisture content was borderline. Last I heard I wasn’t suitable for eye surgery so I reckon I’m stuck with glasses which isn’t all that bad these days as they are so light weight and modern.

Sire’s last blog post..Big Brother Google Opts For Interest-Based Advertising

@ Sire – yeah just a few minutes ago did the lawn for the first time this year.. right now i could CLAW my eyes out.. i dread the pollen!

Well i think i’ll at least see if i’m eligible.. that way if i’m not i’ll quit thinking about it!

• Sire said:

I’m not affected by pollen, but I hate it when the glasses fog up when I come out of a cool room or something.

Sire’s last blog post..Seven Things About Me You May Not Know

@ Sire – When you walk out of a cold room into the hot.. BACK OUT! Yeah i know it sounds dumb and you’ll look dumb but it works!! HA! Just walk out of the room backwards and no fogging :)

• Sire said:

That sounds like your having me on, but I will try it out anyway. Just remember I know your IP address :D

Sire’s last blog post..Googles Interest-Based Advertising Sucks

• Mitch said:

I’ve worn glasses or contacts since I was 8 years old. I gave up contacts because my eyes started taking a long time to recover from them. I’ve thought about Lasik, but two things have kept me from it. One, I’d still have to wear reading glasses, which is still irritating as sin. Two, right now, if I need to see something detailed I can just take my glasses off and pull it close to me; I get the surgery, and that ability goes with it, and I’d have to get a magnifying glass like most other people do. Not having to use a tool to see something bigger is a great bonus from where I’m sitting.

Still, it would be nice to wake up and be able to tell what time it was, and to be able to wear some nice, fancy sunglasses; we’ll see.

Mitch’s last blog post..Is Alexa Relevant Again?

@ Sire – ha.. i’m dead serious.. now when you try it and it works, come back and thank me hahah… now you wouldn’t mess with a man’s IP would ya? ha!

@ Mitch – Dude I hear ya! It just SUX any way we look at it huh? I had gotten an email from a lady about this blog post and thought I’d go ahead and share it… here’s what she said..

I am a LASIK surgical coordinator and before I began working as such, I had surgery on my own eyes. I, like you, was reluctant about the flap creation, so I opted for PRK. The results are the same as LASIK in the end, and the same laser is used to give you the same treatment. The difference is, instead of using a blade to create a flap of tissue in your cornea, they gently remove the top layer of cells of your cornea to get to the dense inner tissue where the laser is used. The healing is a little more uncomfortable for a few days and it takes longer for your vision to stabalize afterward, but it’s a great option for weenies like me who are put off by the cutting aspect of the LASIK procedure. As for my personal outcome, it took me 3 months for my vision to stabalize (though I was farsighted before, and farsighted people heal slower than nearsighted people like yourself) but after it finally did, I am now 20/20 with no complaints!

• Mitch said:

That’s pretty neat. My problem is that I’m moving towards 50 later this year, so my eyes will definitely need reading glasses. :-(

Mitch’s last blog post..Where My Traffic Comes From

Well, I’m just at 43 and I’m already using them haha.. But oh well.. it could be worse huh?