Home » It's Friday, Thoughts, Video

It’s Friday – What a Week!

24 April 2009 10 Comments

What's up everybody!  Man.... What a week this has been!  Monday the 20th was a day I'll never forget!  That afternoon was when my oldest sister called me to tell me her granddaughter had died!  Crazy... I never expected it, of course who would?  Reagan apparently was the victim of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)

My nephew and his wife had sweet little twin girls in January and they were just shy of being 3 months old.  Monday their lives changed when they lost one of those precious little girls.

I thought I would take this opportunity to talk about death... I really thought about just going a totally different direction and tossing up a rap video or something and just getting away from the topic all together.  But... for whatever reason, I've decided to talk about it a little more before I move on.

I've dealt with death way too many times in my life.  My mom died when I was 10, my dad died when I was 13.  One of my grandparents died before I was born, two of my grandparents died when I was young and my granny, who was one of the Angels in my life, died 15 years ago when I was 28 years old.  Along with that, my best friend was killed in a car accident when I was 19 years old.  Along with that, cousins, aunts and uncles.  So unfortunately I'm no stranger to death.

Usually when I hear about someone dying, I can relate to it very well and I always feel like I can be Mr advice giver.  I always feel like I can talk to folks about death and how I've handled it and how it affected my life, changed my life and how Jake dealt with it.  But when Reagan died, I was at a total loss for words.  All I could say to my family was I'm sorry, I'm praying and I'm hear for you!  NOTHING prepared me for the loss of a child in my immediate family!

I realize I get readers to this blog from all corners of the world and from all walks of life, and I realize each and every one of us handle things in our own little way.  I've sat and watched my family deal with this tragic event this past week, and there's one thing I can say without a doubt, their faith and their beliefs are very evident in their lives.  When tragedy strikes, when something like the death of a small child hits home and there's no where to turn, your faith in God and your beliefs can be the only thing that eases the pain.

Of course there is hurt, of course there is pain... there's probably anger and probably at times doubt, but when I see my nephew/brother and his wife make comments that they have a peace about Reagan's death, that shows me a power that comes from above and a faith that comes from deep within.

Just a couple of more things I want to share with you as I bring this week to a close... THANK YOU again for all your kind comments, your thoughts and prayers during this time my family has dealt with this.

I also wanted to share this with you...  After hearing the news of their child's death, Philip and Beth left the hospital to drive home and spend some time alone to gather themselves before gathering with family... on their way home from the hospital, the picture below is what they saw over their home...

My nephew posted this video on his Facebook page, so I thought I would use it for this Friday's Video!

Natalie Grant - Held

Two months is too little.
They let him go.
They had no sudden healing.
To think that providence would
Take a child from his mother while she prays
Is appalling.

Who told us we'd be rescued?
What has changed and why should we be saved from nightmares?
We're asking why this happens
To us who have died to live?
It's unfair.

Chorus:
This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.
This is what it is to be loved.
And to know that the promise was
When everything fell we'd be held.

This hand is bitterness.
We want to taste it, let the hatred know our sorrow.
The wise hands opens slowly to lilies of the valley and tomorrow.

(Chorus)
This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.
This is what it is to be loved.
And to know that the promise was
When everything fell we'd be held.

Bridge:
If hope is born of suffering.
If this is only the beginning.
Can we not wait for one hour watching for our Savior?

(Chorus)
This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.
This is what it is to be loved.
And to know that the promise was
When everything fell we'd be held.

• Big Sis said:

You will never know what it’s meant to me, but especially to Philip, having you near us this week. Love you so much little brother.

• o jordan said:

What a great video for such a heart heavy week…

o jordan’s last blog post..Atlanta Falcons acquires TE Gonzalez for future pick

Let me again stress how sorry I was to hear about Reagan. My heart is with you and all of your family, especially Philip and Beth.

I don’t think that there is anything in the world could ever prepare us for the unexpected loss of a child.

The song is extremely powerful.

Andrew’s last blog post..Should copyright infringers be disconnected?

• Make Money Online said:

I was at a total loss for words. I didn’t even know about SIDS, and just did a wiki. Time will heal.

Make Money Online’s last blog post..Important Factors In Web Design

• Marketing Business Review said:

Hi Jake,

That´s good that Philip and his Wife found the strength to overcome this difficult times. They continue in my prayers as well as you and your whole family.

Good video. very touching.

Luis

Marketing Business Review’s last blog post..DoFollow Blogs List of Lists

• Salwa said:

Hi Jake,

This is my first time I am hearing about SIDS. Your family continue in my prayers.

Very touching video, thanks for the sharing.

Lots of love
    Salwa.

Salwa’s last blog post..Sunday Link Love – April 26th 2009

• Laura-Whateverebay said:

It’s heart breaking…. Your family is fortunate to have you in their lives. My Mom said goodbye 9 years ago. That was hard, but I was fortunate enough to have 6 months to say good bye. That was the most painful good-bye ever.

Jake, for all the heart-ache you have experienced throughout the years, all around you benefit. You have an immense loving spirit. Your love for Misty (sp) and compassion for others is embraces all. Your family will remain in my prayers. God Bless…..

@ Big Sis – You all will never know what YOU ALL mean to me :)

@ Otis – It is a very touching video for sure! Amazing how songs can mean so much at times like these!

@ Andrew – Thanks man! I agree there’s no way to prepare for something like this! Thanks for your kind words and comments!

@ MMO – yeah I had heard about SIDS but never really knew how many people it affected until I read up on it. Time does help!

@ Luis – Thank you! It means a lot to us all!

@ Salwa – Thank you! You all are great and your kind words mean more than you will ever know!

@ Laura – I’ve had discussions with others about losing loved ones.. dunno if it’s harder losing them and never knowing them, or knowing them for years then losing them..

THANK YOU! It means alot to hear that and that’s very kind of you to say!

• Luca Di Nicola said:

Hey Jake,
    I’m so sorry for your loss. There are no words to describe it fully. My thought and prayers are with you and your Family.

Stay strong,

Luca Di Nicola’s last blog post..How to Use Twitter for Blog Traffic

@ Luca – Welcome and thanks for the kind words! It’s very much appreciated!!!!