Home » Interesting, Things I Recommend, Thoughts

Liver Pudding? Is it Liver or Pudding?

3 May 2009 21 Comments

On Sunday mornings, Misty and I are usually up pretty early and most of the time we head out for breakfast to one of "Mayberry's" locally owned restaurants called The Derby.  Since we had a late Saturday night and slept in a bit, and since the rain made for a lazy Sunday morning.... we decided to eat at home.  Since we hadn't been to the grocery store and were about out of everything, my poor stomach was GROWLING!  No bread, no poptarts, no milk for cereal... no nuttin!   Ohhhhh but what do I see in the bottom of the fridge???

Neese's Liver Pudding Saves The Day

Just when I thought I was gonna starve to death, there they laid, 2 nicely sliced pieces of Neese's Liver Pudding in a baggy that had been left from earlier last week!  Right beside of it... EGGS!   There ya go... We were about to have us a yummy breakfast!

Now I posted this over at my Facebook and got a few interesting responses.  Some responded to liver pudding in general, and some responded on how I ate my liver pudding.  So I thought what the heck, I'll do a blog post on it here at "My Life as I See It" and just see what folks from different parts of the world think about Liver Pudding!

Now, before we go any further, I realize that some of you, probably most of you reading this, have never tried, or probably never heard of Liver Pudding before.  Here's a quote from NeesesSausage.com

A fully cooked southern favorite with our special spices. It's 96% fat free and, believe it or not, a favorite of kids who love it on a sandwich or warmed in the pan for breakfast. By the way, it doesn't taste like pudding and it doesn't look like liver.

But what does Liver Pudding taste like?  There is absolutely NO way I could even begin to explain what it tastes like... to me, there's nothing to compare it to haha.

Ohhh, and the million dollar question... What are the ingredients in Liver Pudding?  The info below was taken from Wikipedia...

Livermush (or Liver Mush or Liver Pudding) is a Southern United States foodstuff composed of pig liver, head parts, and cornmeal. It is commonly spiced with pepper and sage. Vaguely similar to scrapple, livermush was most likely brought south through the Appalachian mountains by German settlers from Philadelphia. Livermush is colloquially known as poor man's or poor boy's pâté.

Along with that... check out this intriguing information also taken from Wikipedia...

Shelby, North Carolina hosts an annual Livermush Exposition, which began in 1987 to celebrate the unique delicacy. In that year the Cleveland County Commissioners and the Shelby City Council passed resolutions proclaiming that "livermush is the most delicious, most economical and most versatile of meats." Other towns in North Carolina that have livermush festivals include Drexel and Marion. Sonnys Grill in Blowing Rock, NC is famous for its livermush [1]

It is commonly prepared by cutting a slice off of a prepared loaf and frying it with grease in a skillet until golden brown, much like you would Spam. At breakfast it would be served alongside grits and eggs. For lunch it can be made into a sandwich with mayonnaise or mustard, either fried as above, or left cold. As livermush's popularity rises, it is appearing as a primary ingredient in dishes such as omelette and pizza.

My gosh... just reading that makes me wish we had gotten more at Walmart today hahaha.  Ok, how many of you are grossed out now?

Now keep in mind Liver Pudding is ready to eat out of the package, but it can be pan fried and eaten several different ways.  We usually fry it up in some butter and eat it on a sandwich with mayo and mustard and/or cheese.  Since we didn't have any bread this morning, I fixed up some scrambled eggs and on my plate, there were 2 scrambled eggs with a nicely fried piece of Liver Pudding AND, smothered across the top was a nice big spoonful of JFG Mayo!

If you would have sat that plate on top of your head, your tongue would beat your face to death trying to get to it it's so yummy!  haha

Misty opted to do without the mayo, dunno what's wrong with her?  haha...  I love mayonnaise on just about everything, but that's an entirely different post on its own!

So there ya go folks... That's how I was saved from starving to death by good ole Neese's Liver Pudding!  Now don't you just fill so full of knowledge that you have to share this info with your friends? haha!

It makes me wonder, since Liver Pudding is said to be a "southern" food, how many of you reading this from all over the world, have ever heard of or even ever tried Liver Pudding?

• Penny said:

HA ha!! I knew you would write on your blog about liver pudding when you saw the reponse your wall post got. We were having a field day writing about it there!!!!! I’m with ya on the mayo though!

I’ve never tried it and I highly doubt that I will ever have the chance too.

Sounds delicious, though, and I’m glad to hear how much you enjoyed it!

Andrew’s last blog post..Gekko is back – but is greed really good?

@ Penny – yeah.. it was inevitable haha! Well, considering your family tree, it’s a MUST that you eat Liver Pudding with Mayo! : P

@ Andrew – Can you even get it in Korea? Want me to mail you a package? ha!

• Suzanne Franco said:

Never heard of it and to each his own … can’t say I’d try it LOL … sounds kind of gross LOL … but I’m glad you enjoy it and thanks for sharing about it. I like to learn of regional things. *SmiLes* Suzanne

• Divinity Rose said:

I’ve never had liver pudding…had never heard of it till now…still can’t say I’d try it…it was hard for me to even read the article…*puffs out cheeks

Divinity Rose’s last blog post..Mighty Kind Cowgirls chase Zombies to Peak Summit at Sub Rosa – The Gypsie Courtyard

@ Suzanne – ’bout time you got back to Texas :)

Now you have to over look the ingredients! Come on! TRY IT!

@ Divinity – Now that surprises me… you of all people, I thought would jump at the chance to try something new haha! You are an adventurer ya know!!! :)

• Make Money Online said:

I have never ever eaten liver pudding, but it sounds really tasty there Jake.

• coffee tables said:

Sounds quite curious. How does this compare to say… Liver spread? I really enjoy the subtle taste of chicken intestines bbq’d over charcoal, thinking I might just pick some up.

@ Coffee Tables – I think it’s the same thing? Maybe? haha Hmmm… I tell ya what.. you cook ‘em up, I’ll try it.. if it ain’t good, i’ll throw some JFG may on it.. then it’ll be good! ha!

• Marketing Business Review said:

Hi Jake,

Did you really ate that? Well calling puddin the liver, I do not know man, I guess I prefer to starve than to eat it, lol.

Luis

Marketing Business Review’s last blog post..How To Work Efficiently When You Are Your Own Boss

@ Luis – Yup i ate that haha! The WHOLE thing! Dude, I’ll fix you up a good ole liver pudding sammich with mayo and you will LOVE IT!

• Renee said:

I love your blog about liver pudding….I grew up on it….fried liver pudding with a fried egg on white bread and Duke’s mayo….every morning for breakfast before school….I’m in Calif now….but when I get on a plane and fly back home to NC…my first stop is at the grocery store to get liver pudding and country ham….

I’m right there with you….if you had to describe to anyone what liver pudding is or even how it tastes ….there is no description for it….its just GREAT !!!…. <3 :)

Jake Reply:

@ Renee – hahah.. I’m glad you liked it! People sure don’t know what they’re missing when they shrug off fried liver pudding huh?

NC huh? I’m in “mayberry” what part you from?

• elizabethonline said:

instructions: fry your puddin’, put it with a fried egg on two pieces of white toast with mayo. die happy.
    elizabethonline´s last blog ..The First Monthly Newsletter is Here! My ComLuv Profile

Seeker Reply:

LOL!!! How right you are…it never lasted me long enough to make a sandwich. I love it fried (butter of course) until crispy and browned on both sides. it does make it from the pan to a plate but is gone in less than a heartbeat. I live nowhere near NC (home state) and there is none here…not even good old NC BBQ. I do get my grits though.

Jake Reply:

Man… how you makin it without Liver Pudding?? And BBQ?? Want me to ship you some? haha

• Kandayzi said:

OMG-Liver Pudding! This is a wonderful childhood memory.
    As a little girl visiting my grandmother in Concord N.C., she always
    would make a special breakfast for us. Grits, Eggs & Liver Pudding.
    Somethings you just can’t explain. You have to experience it.

Jake Reply:

Kandayzi… now you done went and made me hungry :) Yeah folks that never had it sho don’t know what they’re missing!

• shelly_belly said:

Man, I loves me some livermush. Can’t get it in Alabama though.

• Fred Renfrow said:

Hey Jake, I grew up on Liver Pudding and Duke’s Mayo….I would like to have a go at making my own pudding but there doesn’t seem to be many recipes out there..and of course those meanies at Neese’s won’t share theirs. Can ya hep me? Thanks!

Fred

• Rebecca said:

Hello, I live in Aiken, South Carolina and my husband first clued me in on Liver Pudding. But here we see it in a Sausage-like casing and it’s sold in links. We put ours in the oven to bake a few minutes and eat it with grits. It is very delicious and I am glad I’ve had the opportunity to try it. I am a fan of unusual things anyway though.