Home » Thoughts

My Town Sux!

12 July 2009 14 Comments

Just thought I'd sit and type out my thoughts...  Bored as hell and there is absolutely NOTHING to do in this one horse town called MAYBERRY!  Maybe if we weren't "Mayberry" we wouldn't be caught up in the "small boring ass town nothing to do twilight zone"!

It's always "kinda" cool to live in a town where Mr. Andy Griffith was born, but other than that, Mt. Airy Sux!  There is NO night life, NO day life... it's pathetic....

It never fails, when the weekends roll around, Misty and I are like... Ok, what do we do?  Yeah we alays get into something, but it usually involves hanging out at the same few restaurants, or just hanging at home with friends...  We usually end up going OUT OF TOWN to find anything interesting to do!

Where is The Night Life in Mt. Airy?

This is to all you entrepreneurs out there....  if you ever decided to open a decent establishment that has great drinks, great music (other than JUST country and/or rock) and just a small menu of good food... I predict you will have a gold mine!  I have no idea why someone hasn't come along and had SOMETHING in this boring ass town other than a club has a cover charge that's more than most clubs in the big cities!  And what's up with the same boring bands just about every weekend??  They do have a DJ and karaoke on THURSDAYS??????  Come on B52's, drop the cover charge, get a real DJ for the weekends and watch your business boom!

Ohhh and we can't forget about the good ole boys redneck bars here in town...... UGGGGGGGGG!  I mean I don't have anything against cowboys and rednecks, I can get along with anybody... but why do I have to drive to Winston, Elkin, Greensboro.... hell even West Jefferson, to sit in a cool little place that doesn't charge me to walk in the door, have a cold beer and listen to something besides hard rock or country music?

Where is The Day Life in Mt. Airy?

Here it is, Sunday afternoon and all there is to do is "take a Sunday ride" or lay around, or go swimming or beat your head on the wall because THERE IS NOTHING TO DO hahaha...  I enjoy walking downtown, but NOTHING IS OPEN on Sundays!  Even the tourist complain about that!  And it's really no different on Saturdays either.. unless you want to the park or the movies (after you drain your bank account).  We have two festivals a year and other than that, NOTHING exciting ever goes on in this town... we have a winery on main street, how 'bout a wine festival in Mt. Airy?  Can that happen here in Bible Belt USA?  Ooooooh, let's go play putt putt, let's go to Walmart, lets go to the Mayberry Mall....

Dang, I wish I had paid more attention in school...  Maybe it's not too late for me to take some business courses, or partner up with someone and open a cool little place called "Jake's" or something hahaha...  Maybe I need to go to the Chamber of Commerce myself and see if I can get a wine festival going here in good ole "Mayberry".

Ohhhhh wellllll.... let's go outside and watch the grass grow!!   Hmmmm, maybe I'll get out my "tator gun" and shoot tators!  hahaha  Exciting huh?

So talk to me...

If you read this blog and live here in Mt. Airy, what would you like to see here in this town that would be fun to do?

If you don't live here, what goes on in YOUR town that you have fun doing on the weekends, day or night?

Speak up!

• michele said:

hahaha i love your comments jeff you make me smile! you are soooo right though…the thing is, if we lived in a bigger town we would be sick of the traffic and afternoon delays and probably come to good ol’ mayberry to do something…anyways i have no suggestions…there really aint much for a 20 year old to do in this town..haha love ya

I would like… both something kid oriented, such as a zoo, a real museum, like a natural history museum, or something like that. When I went to Arizona, there were always things to do! Even at the museums, there were little classes for the kids and whatnot… not to mention it was cool…

and I would also like some sort of amusement thing. Like not necessarily a Carowinds, but something like that. idk. just something. sheesh.

In one of the videos which you ran a few months or so back, you appeared to demonstrate a considerable degree of enthusiasm during the process of explaining about your town, so I actually quite surprised to hear that you feel this way.

Nevertheless, I do hear what you are saying, and personally, having lived in a small rural town in Korea for the past four years, I certainly feel as though I share some of your sentiments. Living in a small town certainly has its share of advantages, which include, among others, less traffic, clean air, and friendliness, but there is not a great deal to do in my town either except for hiking the same trails over and over again.

In my case, however, I will be moving back to Australia in two months time. After moving back, I will live in Melbourne for the next few years, which, as you may or may not be aware, is the second largest city in Australia behind Sydney (Canberra, the capital, is actually quite small).

Much as I will miss the peace and quiet of the countryside, I do look forward to experiencing once again the much broader range of opportunities (both in terms of work and entertainment options) which are on offer during the course of life in a big city.

Andrew’s last blog post..June contributors

@ Michele aka Jose’ haha – Yeah you’re definitely right about the traffic and that crap.. I surely don’t wanna deal with that mess every day… maybe we can meet half way and just have a few places of interest instead of NONE haha Love you 2!

@ Ashley – those are some cool ideas… there just seems to be so much opportunity here in this town, dunno what it’s gonna take!

@ Andrew – yeah I actually thought about that video as I was typing this post and even linked to it.. I mean in one aspect it’s a nice small town, low crime rate and yeah it’s cool to live somewhere that a celebrity was born, but the trade off is there’s just nothing going on in this town.. and I didn’t even talk about the job situation which sux even worse than the Day and Night Life!

Sounds like you are definitely in for a culture change! You should really do some video of your area there in Korea.. i would love to see it!

• Normal Joe said:

Ahahahahahahahaha

dude, you are freakin crazy man! You need to start Jake’s Cold Beer and No Cover Charge Lounge

do it man, do it!

Normal Joe’s last blog post..Why Integrating Feedburner With Aweber Sucks

Man, there ain’t NOTHING stopping me from doing that but ME! I would love to have my own little shack haha… what am I waiting on? It’d be a gold mine here in Mayberry! ha

• Normal Joe said:

do it then sucka! Open up the spot!

Normal Joe’s last blog post..I lied. Feedburner doesn’t suck…completely.

How about I make you a deal?

When you open that ‘little shack’ of yours, I’ll have to come over to your country and order a beer. How does that sound?

Andrew’s last blog post..June contributors

• pozycjonowanie pozna? said:

In my city (no ta town :P ) there is some nightclubs and possibilities to dance, drink something nice or meet adorable people. Also in the city area there are lakes, parks, possibilities of making sport and a lot more :)
    I’m inviting everyone to visit my city ;)

pozycjonowanie pozna?’s last blog post..Odsiwiacz

• Anna said:

Hey I will keep this in mind for when I am ready to start investing in real estate, restaurants, and the tourist industry. But you are right, you have an untapped Gold Mine! Why don’t you tap it? Sounds like you could make decent money with a lemonade stand in that town! Especially if you bring a boom box and let people dance on the lawn! Lol :)

No, seriously those, this kind of place can really present some serious opportunities. I know from experience. If you are almost the only place to go, or the only place worth going to … you have no competition really.

Anna’s last blog post..Do You Know What You’re Promoting?

@ pozycjonowanie pozna – I need to travel more haha, glad you got some things going on where you live!

@ Anna – I had an interesting conversation with a local businessman yesterday… this person is also on the Chamber of Commerce and it was interesting to hear him tell that our town leaders make it VERY tough for anyone to start that type of business here in “mayberry”. So it boils down to politics and that SUX! Our town doesn’t want to loose that precious “mayberry” image so that means we can’t progress around here when it comes to entertainment… SAD!

maybe you can come down and change their minds! I tell ya what, you open up a cool little place and I’ll be your DJ! ha

@ Andrew – Sounds like a deal man.. If our slack ass town will ever get itself into THIS CENTURY! haha

@ Anna – Oh yeah, and why don’t I tap it? I think fear is the main reason.. that and the thought of the $$ investment it would take and the opposition I would get around here.. pitiful huh? haha

• coffee tables said:

well that’s kinda boring. how are you jake? it’s been a while since i check your blogposts

@ coffee tables – yeah this can be a very boring town! We have to make our own excitement haha.. I am GREAT! Just way behind from being on vacation!