Home » Thoughts

Words of Wisdom

11 November 2009 20 Comments

From one of my favorite books...

Each moment can change the rest of your life and the course of your direction. If you are not intentional with your actions, you will plan to fail. Successful people operate from the beat of their own drum, but they are intentional. Successful people don't become successful by accident, it's sheer practical application. You have to make at least one move toward your goal every single day. You have to dedicate a part of every day to doing what you love. Don't just talk about it. Talk is cheap. You may not know exactly where you want to be or what you want to become. That's okay. You are guaranteed to get closer to your dreams if you just walk forward and begin to question.

Let's return to the concept of work once more. Work is doing what's necessary to get to where you want to be. Doing what needs to be done. Work hard so you can play hard. When you keep trying to do something and it just doesn't fit, problem after problem, then you're doing something wrong. You can't do anything unless you put work into it, but working in the wrong direction will always leave you unsatisfied and unfulfilled. You are likely to be broke both financially and spiritually when you've traveled thousands of miles in the wrong direction.

Try to recognize any resistance when things are not falling into place over and over again. This is a sign that you should go back to the drawing board and ask yourself, what am I doing? People sometimes try to fit a round peg in a square hole. When you are walking the true path, things come together and you notice a difference. You still will have classic bad days (I like to say those are the days you get paid for!), but they don't hold you back in the long run. Those days may feel like stumbling blocks, but you're still headed in the right direction.

Albert Einstein once said, "Your imagination is your preview of life's coming attraction." That phrase encapsulates so much of how I live each day. Remember, when you think positively about your future, leaving the past behind, you can attract what you want. And it's your imagination and no one else's. I challenge you to start to imagine your future. Imagine you own coming attraction, and watch those planning ideas arise.

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

Anonymous

• Misty said:

Inspiring!!! Good question…what would I attempt to do if I knew I would not fail? I think my question is what would I attempt to do if I had time to do it? I would love to try my hand at wedding photography.
    I love you WJL!!!

Jake Reply:

I love you too darlin! And you would make a great wedding photographer or ANYTHING you set your mind too! btw, I hear they get paid very well hahah

• Ottidid said:

I love that phrase… Your imagination is your preview of life’s coming attraction…

Jake Reply:

What’s up Otis! Yeah I’ve went back and read it several times myself.. I think that’ll go on a posti-note and be where I can see it daily!

• Crystal said:

Thanks, I needed to read that today!!! Encouraging and inspiring!!! And oh so TRUE!!!

Jake Reply:

Glad it helped Crystal!!!

I love your last question – it really puts things in perspective.

I also like your first point about how success is the result of deliberate effort. Personally, I have found myself, that whenever I or a team with which I have been involved have been pursuing a clearly defined goal with any form of deliberate effort, we have gone a whole lot further than when we did not have clear goals.
    Andrew´s last blog ..Timor sea oil spill – Sorry seems to be the hardest word My ComLuv Profile

Jake Reply:

I agree! We are definitely in charge of our own future, in my opinion. So much can be gained from just having a positive, go get ‘em attitude!

• water tanks said:

I think “it is so clear now” answered the question correctly, in fact, 100% perfectly acording to my thinking.But then, I am the person that struggles with the hadiths. I also think the hadith regarding the beard that Muslim men wear “was thought, written and spoken” during a time when Islam was being promoted and the beard was a sign of masculine unity that identified them as Muslim.

Jake Reply:

That’s very interesting! I’ve never read much about the hadith tradition and just done a little reading on it.. i really enjoy learning about different cultures!

• Suzanne Franco Land said:

I clicked through my RSS email yesterday to this post intending to read it … got busy and was going through the 50-60 browsers I had open from yesterday (yes, it’s a sickness LOL) (and yes, often wonders why computer crashes so often LOL) … and now I know why I left it for today! This is so on topic for me today! I’m so happy and smiling … I got up early to “work” and just finished telling my boys how lucky I am to love what I do … but there are a couple of pieces missing from the puzzle. I will read this … and reread it … and I thank you for the nice thought provoking post (today LOL). *SmiLes* S

Jake Reply:

Hello there Suzanne Land! Glad it helped you! This book has picked me up so many times! So much I have learned from it!

• crystal wine glasses said:

Don’t say what you’re thinking, and don’t be too quick to act on what you think. Be friendly to people but don’t overdo it. Once you’ve tested out your friends and found them trustworthy, hold onto them.

Jake Reply:

Very good point!! The tongue causes as much if not more trouble than anything else!

• Diabetis said:

Success comes both from practical application and the industriousness of the person doing it.
    Diabetis´s last blog ..Natural Remedies for Diabetes My ComLuv Profile

• coffee tables said:

Truly words of wisdom!

Such a great motivation for living everyday life.

Thanks Jake.

• Car hire said:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

• Elijah said:

Dude.. whatever was considered gangster back in Einstein times.. he was it. That man had more insanely provocative quotes than any other brainiac throughout the course of history.
    Elijah´s last blog ..Fact: Hip Hop Improves Copywriting Skills My ComLuv Profile

• Karcianki said:

Is this text from the book ’4hour work-week’ ?
    Karcianki´s last blog ..Wiochmen Rejser My ComLuv Profile

• harley rental miami said:

I think that Mr. Einstein in this particular thing was wrong. I would not say that “Your imagination is your preview of life’s coming attraction”. I would say something opposite. Life’s attractions are the preview for your imagination. Everything that we create in our mind is based in real world and every imagination still holds its concrete in our world.